Review: The Breakaway by Michelle D. Argyle

The Breakaway by Michelle D. Argyle 

Published: May 1st, 2012
Publisher: Rhemalda Publishing

Series: (The Breakaway #1)
Format: E-book, Paperback
Pages: 303 (Paperback)

Genre: YA, Romance


Source: E-book bought from B&N

Purchase*: Barnes and NobleAmazon


Add on Goodreads



When Naomi Jensen is kidnapped, it takes her parents two days to realize she's missing. 
Escape isn't high on her list of priorities when all she has to return to is an abusive boyfriend and parents who never paid much attention to her. 
For the first time in her life she's part of a family-even if it is a family of criminals. 
But she's still a captive. 
In a desperate attempt to regain some control in her life, Naomi embarks on a dangerous plan to make one of her kidnappers think she's falling in love with him. 
The plan works too well, and when faced with the chance to escape, Naomi isn't sure she wants to take it.

  The Breakaway is not your typical kidnap kind of story where the victem is watched, kidnapped and brutally abused. The main character Naomi only gets taken because of something the kidnapers think she saw, she didn't. Naomi finds herself in a satuation where her kidnappers treat her better than he own parents. She finds herself in confusion of if she really wants to escape, or stay with people who might actually care...  Worst of all her plan of making one of her kidnappers, Jesse, fall in love with her backfires because she starts to actually have feeling for the person who is taken her, but who might have also saved her. 

  I really enjoyed the plot to this story, it was interesting and intriguing reading about Naomi's story. I loved the confusion and how Naomi developed Stockholm's Syndrome because I honestly found that facinating to read about. What I found creppy is the whole "we kidnapped you and want to make you part of the family" thing. It is part of the plot and it added more to the book but it was still creppy....

  I didn't really liked the characters in this book. Naomi, I didn't find her to be a strong character. I just found her weak and depending, and annoying at times. I just couldn't really connect to her. Jesse, the love interest, I didn't find him attractive in a personality and in the way she described him. He couldn't make any of his own decisions, he felt like a pushover to me, just like Naomi. So I guess they are perfect for each other. Eric, the kidnapper, he was just crazy, I mean I couldn't understand how Naomi could stand him. Evelyn, she was also a major pushover even thought she was the most caring one. 

  The romance was the whole Stockholm syndrome. She didn't love him, she just got used to him. In a lot of books that does happen and it feels real, but in the Breakaway it just felt wrong and creppy. In the end you couldtell he did care for her, but my question is did she?

 Overall, I thought the book was an okay read, I really liked the plot and the whole  idea behind the book, but I just couldn't relate to the characters. I think a lot of people might enjoy it because it is different from the most kidnapping related books.



  



8 comments :

  1. I'm always intrigued by books that put a new spin on a old story or takes a different angle. It's too bad that this one seems to fall flat. Maybe the next book in the series is better?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read it and I have to confirm almost everything you wrote, except the fact that I madly loved Jesse's character! If I was the kidnapper I would have kill Naomi the second after I took her!

    But I want to know what happens next, so I guess I found this book "not that bad"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love books with kidnap :) Dark Duet is my favorite :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so intriguing. Well that means another book added to my TBR list. I gotta read this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The book sounds interesting and I think I will give it a try...:)

    Linkup Your Hosted BlogHops Here
    -Njkinny @ Njkinny's World of Books

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, this book intrigues me. I'll have to add it to my tbr list!

    ReplyDelete

 

Grab our button!

Total Pageviews

Goodreads Challenge 2014

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Anastasia has read 7 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

Favorites::

Anastasia's favorites book montage

Vampire Academy
The Host
Remember Me
Wake Unto Me
Pretty Little Liars
Angelique
Seduced in the Dark
If I Were You
Night Game
Hopeless
Warm Bodies
City of Glass
This is Not a Test
Earthbound
A Game of Thrones
The Sea of Tranquility
Darkness of Light
Ten Tiny Breaths
Left Drowning
Divergent


Anastasia's favorite books »