Review: The Deepest Night by Shana Abe

The Deepest Night by Shana Abe 

Published: August 13th, 2013
Publisher: Bantam
Series: (The Sweetest Dark #2)


Format: E-book, Hardcover
Pages: 320 (Hardcover)

Genre: YA, Fantasy


Source: Netgalley

Purchase*: Barnes and NobleAmazon


Add on Goodreads



\
A rich portrait of post-Victorian England, The Deepest Nightseamlessly blends thrilling romance with riveting history and adventure—perfect for fans of Libba Bray and Lauren Kate.

It’s 1915, and sixteen-year-old Lora Jones is finishing up her first year as a charity student at Iverson, a prestigious, gothic boarding school on England’s southern coast. While she’s always felt different from everyone around her, now she finally knows why: She is a drákon, a rare, enchanted being with astonishing magical abilities.

As war hits Britain’s shores, and Lora reels from an unimaginable loss, she finds that her powers come with grave and dangerous responsibilities. At the request of Armand Louis, the darkly mysterious boy whose father owns Iverson, Lora will spend her summer at his lavish estate. To help the war effort—and to keep Lora by his side—Armand turns his home into a military hospital, where Lora will serve as a nurse. For Armand is inescapably drawn to her—bound to her by heart-deep secrets and a supernatural connection that runs thicker than blood.

Yet while Lora tries to sort out her own feelings toward Armand, fate offers an unexpected surprise. Lora discovers there is another drákon, a prisoner of war being held in Germany. And that only she, with her newly honed Gifts, will be able to rescue him.

With Armand, Lora will cross enemy lines on an incredible mission—one that could bond her to Armand forever, or irrevocably tear them apart.

Beautifully written, deeply romantic, and filled with daring adventure and magic, The Deepest Night is a mesmerizing novel of the enduring pull of destiny, and the eternal strength of love.

  The Deepest Night was as good if not better than The Sweetest Dark. In the Deepest Night Lora and Armand go on an adventure to rescue Armand's brother, who has become a prisoner of war. They face challenges and a test of surviving, especially since Armand in at a process of changing into his dragon form.

 I really enjoyed reading this book, I found it interesting and really unique. The story line was not only full of adventure but also action. I also liked that it was a fast paced and it didn't have a moments that bored you. 
The Deepest Night is written from three points of view- Lora, Armand and Jesse. I really liked the Lora and Armand views, but I wish there would be more of Armand's views, because there wasn't a lot of them. Now Jesse, I found his thoughts annoying at times, but since the first book I wasn't a fan of him. Still even though I didn't like that Jesse had his POW in a book, I found toward the end that it actually made a book feel more complete. 

   Finally in this book we get some more Lora-Armand moments, since the first book I liked Armand, it was a big plus for me. Armand was as charming as ever, I think I fell in love with his character even more. In The Deepest Night we see not only his sweet and caring side but also his valuable side. Lora, I liked her as much as I did in the first book. Through this adventure she become a more developed and understanding character. I also liked how even though it was hard and at times she just wanted to give up, she never did, she just kept on trying and trying. Even at hard times, she still had sarcasm and humor. Even though I didn't like Jesse and Lora romance in the first book, I liked how after Jesse died, she didn't just stop loving him and moved on, in this book she actually showed more feeling toward him than she did in the first one. 

  What I didn't really understand in this book and the previous is what are the stars? Lora and Armand hear them, but we don't really know anything about them....what is their purpose? 

  Overall, I really like The Deepest Night, even more than the first one, but it still felt like something was missing from the story. I hope in the next one the author explains the purpose of the stars and Lora's so to say destiny. I would definitely recommend to read this book, well if you read the first one and liked it, this one is even better!



  

  




4 comments :

  1. I haven't read or heard of this series but, it sounds like something I would enjoy reading :) The way you described the characters and even added some tidbits from the first book. It will make people want to read it. God Bless & Happy Reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this series yet, but your review makes me what to read it to find the adventures they have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, this one was even better than the first one and I'm really really looking forward to reading book 3 and getting more answers!

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope the next book is even better!(:

      Delete

 

Grab our button!

Total Pageviews

Goodreads Challenge 2014

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Anastasia has read 7 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

Favorites::

Anastasia's favorites book montage

Vampire Academy
The Host
Remember Me
Wake Unto Me
Pretty Little Liars
Angelique
Seduced in the Dark
If I Were You
Night Game
Hopeless
Warm Bodies
City of Glass
This is Not a Test
Earthbound
A Game of Thrones
The Sea of Tranquility
Darkness of Light
Ten Tiny Breaths
Left Drowning
Divergent


Anastasia's favorite books »