Review: Blue Hearts of Mars by Nicole Grotepas

Blue Hearts of Mars by Nicole Grotepas


Published: February 23rd 2013
Publisher: Createspace

Series: Standalone 

Format: E-book
Pages: 268
Genre: Science Fiction, YA

Purchase*:Amazon

Add on Goodreads


Rating: 3.0



Summary:

Seventeen-year-old Retta Heikkinen is in love with a boy--a thoroughly gorgeous, captivating, and mysterious boy known as Hemingway. The situation is rather ideal: he likes her, she likes him. There's just one little problem.

He's a blue heart, an android.

Being in a relationship is its own complicated mess, but how long can a forbidden love last? Soon Retta discovers a secret that could destroy the uneasy truce between the blue hearts and humans, which makes life under the domes on Mars possible. Would exposing what she knows make things better or worse? And how can she know for certain without exposing the secret?


My Review:

If you read the plot of Blue Hearts of Mars, it sounds really promising and interesting. The cover also looks amazing! But...

 Blue Heart is a science fiction, a story about a future of humans living on Mars with so called androids. Androids are said to be made by humans, to help them settle on Mars. Later humans, lets say perfected androids, making them look and act like humans, except for an incredible strength androids have. It looks like they made  androids a part of human society, even through androids are just a "machines" with no real feelings, they even have a blue heart...oh so they say.... Because androids are not really human, the relationship between androids and humans is forbidden, it is against all laws of humanity. But Retta falls deeply in love with a blue heart, Hemingway, and he too, loves her. She doesn't see him as an android, she sees his as a human, because he loves her, so he has to be human, right? So why does the law forbid two people who love each other so much be together?  She needs to find answers, she needs to be with him. But now government wants to take Hemingway away from her. So what do you do in situation like this? Well you run. If that doesn't work, because everyone is after you, what do you do? Simple, just try to change everyone's mind, save the androids, destroy the bad guys. There, we have a plan.

   Basically that's what the whole plot is about, trying to be with someone you can truly be with, because everyone is out to stop you. Don't get me wrong, I actually liked the plot of the book. It got my attention. But it didn't work as good as I thought it would. Some parts just didn't work for me. Like I found the relationship between Retta and Hemingway unreal, I just didn't feel connection between them, like them falling in love with each other was just to fast, in my opinion. I got tired of Reeta's character, at first she loves him to death and than she can't decide if he's worth fighting for. She just annoyed me, so did her friend Mia, I only started liking her towards the end of the book.  I have to say I liked Hemingway a lot more than Reeta. But still I would of wanted to get more into characters, and I really did try, but it just didn't work for me. I only started to like the book towards the end of it, I really wanted to know the secret that Reeta found out. 

   Overall I couldn't really decide what I through about the whole book. The first half of the book I didn't like. I also didn't like characters all that much. I only started getting into the book towards the end. So I will give it three stars, because of interesting plot and the end of the book. I think more people can enjoy it, but it just didn't work for me. 






2 comments :

  1. I just recently bought this and after reading your review, I'm quite eager to read this.

    ReplyDelete

 

Grab our button!

Total Pageviews

Goodreads Challenge 2014

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Anastasia has read 7 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

Favorites::

Anastasia's favorites book montage

Vampire Academy
The Host
Remember Me
Wake Unto Me
Pretty Little Liars
Angelique
Seduced in the Dark
If I Were You
Night Game
Hopeless
Warm Bodies
City of Glass
This is Not a Test
Earthbound
A Game of Thrones
The Sea of Tranquility
Darkness of Light
Ten Tiny Breaths
Left Drowning
Divergent


Anastasia's favorite books »